Writing a review about an interesting work of architecture or home design.

Top 10 iconic pieces of architecture video


 Follow the steps to write a review of an interesting work of architecture or home design.

 

Steps

  1. Think about something in architecture or home design that interests you.
  2. Describe what it is, what it looks like, and explain what you like about it.

This post aims to explain how to write a review for the C1 Advanced Cambridge exam . A review is one of the options in the 2nd task of the writing exam. The main purpose of a review is to give your personal opinion about something, suggesting what is good or bad about it. Reviews are usually written for newspapers, websites or magazines and therefore have a fairly informal style. The text should be personal and include your personal opinion.

IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO INCLUDE:

  • a title
  • state what you are reviewing
  • a brief description with interesting adjectives and adverbs
  • recommendations of target audience and summarize the review

EXAMPLE QUESTION:

You have seen this announcement on your favourite music website.

Have you ever been to an amazing concert venue?

Write a review of the best music venue in your local area and tell us about what makes it so special. Say who you would recommend it for a why?

The best entries will be published on our website.

 

EXAMPLE ANSWER:

 

The Apollo: The Theatre of Dreams

Never before have you seen such an amazing spectacle as you will see in the Apollo. It’s not only the facilities and personnel that make this venue so great, but also the amazing acoustics of such a large venue.

From the moment you enter the place there is an awe about it. All of the greatest acts of recent times have played here and you can feel the buzz as soon as you enter. The crowd are so close to the stage that they can literally feel the droplets of sweat coming off of the brows of their favourite artists, this creates an amazing connection between the musicians and the audience and I can tell you, the fans go wild!

I’d definitely recommend this venue to anyone, it has a great feel to it and the prices are at the lower end of what you would expect to pay in such a place. They also don’t go over the top on drinks prices, and through it sounds weird, it’s not all that difficult to get to the bathroom which is a plus. So, without a doubt, the next time your favourite group is playing, come on down to the Apollo, oh, and did I mention it is in London? It couldn’t get any better.


USEFUL PHRASES:

It is highly recommendable to have a set template for each type of text before the day of the exam to make sure you meet the correct standard. Try learning some of these phrases to include in your template.

 

Opinions:

  • In my opinion, …
  • In my eyes, …
  • To my mind, …
  • As far as I am concerned, …
  • Speaking personally, …
  • From my point of view, …
  • As for me / As to me, …
  • My view / opinion / belief / impression / conviction is that …
  • It goes without saying…
  • I hold the view that …
  • I would say that …
  • It seems to me that …
  • I am of the opinion that …
  • I’ll stick my neck out and say…
  • I’d hazard a guess that…
  • My impression is that …
  • I am under the impression that …
  • It is my impression that …
  • I have the feeling that …
  • My own feeling on the subject is that …
  • I have no doubt that …
  • I am sure / I am certain that …
  • I think / consider / find / feel / believe / suppose / presume / assume/reckon that …
  • I hold the opinion that …
  • I dare say that …
  • I guess that …
  • I bet that ….
  • I gather that …
  • It goes without saying that …

 

Making recommendations: 

  • I would (highly) recommend…
  • If I were you, I’d take a look at…
  • It is well worth the wait because…
  • It would be a good idea to check it out as…
  • The… must be included as…

 

Linking:

  • As I have said before…
  • With respect to the point on…
  • Regarding…
  • Like I have said…
  • In relation to…
  • Taking into account…

 

Expressing enthusiasm:

  • I am delighted (that)…
  • It is thrilling (that)…
  • It is awesome (that)…
  • It seems exciting to think…

 

Expressing surprise:

  • I was caught completely off guard by…
  • It is really surprising (that)…
  • I was taken aback when….
  • … really takes my breath away…

 

Speculating:

  • Probably – He will probably do the exam next week
  • Perhaps/maybe – Perhaps he doesn’t have time
  • May/might/could – You might be luckier next time
  • What if – What if he doesn’t arrive on time?

 

Preferences: I prefer (…ing), I like ___ more than…

  • I would rather (bare infinitive)
  • I would prefer (infinitive)
  • I would sooner (bare infinitive)
https://www.intercambioidiomasonline.com/2017/09/05/c1-writing-writing-a-review-for-the-cae-exam/






No comments:

Post a Comment

Wishes and regrets

I wish by Skee-Lo Wishes and regrets explanation video   Wishes in movie segments video Collaborative activity https://test-english.com/gram...